LarrysImprovPage.com Blog

I'm Tony Miceli, and I'm a vibe player in Philadelphia, Pa. I play, teach and I run LarrysImprovPage.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sound Talk Podcast

I put up an interesting podcast with John Vanore who specializes in recording accoustic instruments. He has a lot to say about recording and jazz and the fact that owning a recording software program does not make you an engineer.

He reminds me that you have to go in the studio with your act together. He talks about comparing instruments on different CDs and the wide variety of sounds for each instrument.

The podcast is here.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's true, but owning a software program HAS made me an engineer, in fact I am inspired as hell that I can edit and make fairly good demos. Of course I'm no Daniel Lenoux (sp?). If Monk or Mingus had the access to recording software, who knows what incredible recordings we'd have no matter how good quality. Can you imagine Monk in is home studio recording at any given moment what came to mind. Or how much he probably forgot or threw away for something else. And we all know how much Mingus complained about the lack of recording access and ability...Engineer Shmenginneer--get it on tape and let the chips fall where they may. And if someone like it they'll record it better.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    i never thought about 'what if' monk had a studio in his house. that would have been great. even if he sequenced some stuff!!!

    i know john was not implying that everyone with software is jive. i think he was just commenting on how easy it is to get set up as an engineer regardless of your qualifications! i know some good ones how fit the same category!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home