LarrysImprovPage.com Blog

I'm Tony Miceli, and I'm a vibe player in Philadelphia, Pa. I play, teach and I run LarrysImprovPage.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Monk

I'm getting ready for a Monk gig this Friday. I have a band called Monkadelphia and we played steady every Sunday for about 2.5 years. Since then we've done a few gigs the last one being about a year ago i think. I figured I'd just jump back into the tunes just like other standards. No frickin' way. I feel like an imposter today!! Have you heard some of his harder tunes? Skippy, Trinkle, Off Minor.

Playing Monk is not like playing anyone elses music! At least for me. It seems like you have to always be into Monk and working on Monk. I regret now letting him slip like I did.

Anybody have similar experiences? It's a whole different world.

I heard they found a set of lost tapes from the band with Coltrane. The album is going to be released this week I think.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Monk, I have a big poster of him in my studio which looms down at me when I practice reminding me to keep being quirky and don't worry about it. My favorite tune is Pannonica. I think his music is less formula than standard jazz tunes and more about following the melody no matter where it goes. That's how I live my life and write music so I can relate. That's what designates him from the crowd. Viva la Monk!

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Tony said…

    cool! i wish i could live my life like that. i can't, so i'm jealous of you! are you a composer?? i love pannonica. my favorite tune is skippy. it's not his prettiest, but it's his weirdest! and hardest!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home