LarrysImprovPage.com Blog

I'm Tony Miceli, and I'm a vibe player in Philadelphia, Pa. I play, teach and I run LarrysImprovPage.com.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

jazz, rollingstones, beatles

so i'm back at the club that has triple booked, double booked and cheated me out of 50 bucks. i've heard him tell customers that he has live jazz. well his jazz bar is turning into a jersey middle aged pick up joint i think. and that spells trouble for 'jazz'. jazz doesn't go well with died blond hair and boob jobs. i'm not 'really' complaining about boob jobs!

i can tell as she walks up that this dizzy died blond middle age woman is probably not walking this way to ask us to play 'giant steps', or 'solar'. she's going to do one of two things. the first could be to tell me how great of a 'xylophone' player i am. sometimes if their super intelligent they pluralize xylophone and they say, 'hey nice xylophones'. that really makes me feel good. i explain that this is a vibraphone and the xylophone is wooden. they usually don't get it.

if they're not going to tell me what a great xylophone player i am then they'll usually ask us to liven things up a little or request music that was works extremely well with piano and vibes. tonights 'jazz' request was the 'rolling stones' or the 'beatles'.

so this little jazz room is heading down the tubes. i'm burnt out. is anyone else burnt out?? i talked with jimmy bruno today and he's burnt out.

my friend trixie said that clubs are always trying to screw you out of money. is that true? i guess i've been sheltered. i've had some messed up things happen to me however not with this frequency.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Tony said…

    hold on here. it's one thing if people get what you're doing and realize that you're a certain kind of band doing a certain kind of stuff and go from there. but when we're sitting there playing latin music, standards, some really nice arrangements of tunes and some bozo comes up and asks for the rolling stones they don't F**&KING GET IT. that's the point. it's like they're saying, yeah, yeah, yeah play this or that.

    and those owners are idiots, they have no clue. that's the problem. if they had a little clue it would be better. and jersey is weird on top of that. i grew up in jersey and i know that. i always felt like people said, i don't want the symphony, or art, or jazz, so let's move to jersey. i mean south jersey!!!

    however playing with you is fun!

     
  • At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Three cheers for Evildixie. You are one angry musician. Maybe those blonds are onto something. A poor, washed up musician doesn't seem all that attractive a person, at least to me. I'm wondering how old you are? On the one hand you say you have a child old enough to be working, on the other, your ranting sounds as if you are a teenager. If these gigs are so disappointing, why do you do them? If it's for the money, then quiet please. Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe there's another reason I'm missing here.

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    Yeah i'm a little angry and frustrated. You're right about the poor part, i don't know about the washed up part.

    you're right about the gift horse. I try to think that way but it's hard when you're playing for ignorant people. by ignorant i mean they know nothing about music and even any sort of musical ettiquette.

    I'm 45 years old. Yep i'm immature.

    As for the quiet part who the hell are you to tell me or anyone to be quiet, if you don't like the show change the station.

    what do you play? i'd love to hear some of your music.

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    PS!

    I was doing the gig cause i liked playing with the piano player.

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I go back and forth on this issue, sometimes I'm sympathetic to the audience and sometimes I want to kick them in the face, I guess it just depends on who I'm playing with.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    exactly my point. it depends with whom you're doing the gig with.

    if done some weird gigs because of who was on them, i guess you're hoping that someone it will be ok. also the money contributes to the cause!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home