LarrysImprovPage.com Blog

I'm Tony Miceli, and I'm a vibe player in Philadelphia, Pa. I play, teach and I run LarrysImprovPage.com.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dave Liebman's Perspective

Chris Varga a vibist from South Korea sent me this quote from Dave Liebman. This is an intersting perspective!

Since we've been on this topic of playing for the public and since I got some crap about being bugged about playing in front of people who don't have a clue here's an interesting perspective.

Liebman interview excerpt:


DL: The way I like to see it, the audience is there to see you do your trip. Your trip is to be completely committed to the music, with intensity. Again, it doesn't mean loud and fast necessarily -- it could be slow, there could be a lot of space between notes. But you're committed. My ideal audience comes to enjoy and watch that trip, non-judgmentally. Not "I like it" or "I don't like it," but: "This is a guy who does this; this is his job. He's an expert at this, and that's why I'm paying my money to come to see it so I go with him on it." As far as I'm concerned, that's what the audience is there for. That's the so-called entertainment, pure and simple. Okay, you might say: "Hello, my name's Dave, this is my drummer;" you're on time, you don't look like a pig. But beyond that, if you're doing something to be "entertaining," I've got a problem with it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home