LarrysImprovPage.com Blog

I'm Tony Miceli, and I'm a vibe player in Philadelphia, Pa. I play, teach and I run LarrysImprovPage.com.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

"Just Intonation" tuning system

Just Intonation....what the heck is that?

The Just Intonation Network says it's "any system of tuning in which all of the intervals can be represented by ratios of whole numbers, with a strongly-implied preference for the smallest numbers compatible with a given musical purpose."

Okay....right. Basically, it ain't the Western 12-tone equal temperment system we know and love.

You can read a lot more at their web site, but the cool thing is you can listen to interval and chord comparisons of the two systems. Some of them sound quite similar at first, but then they get pretty weird. I think I hear fewer vibrations in the Just Intonation samples, which I guess is the point. (At the site, click on "What Does Just Intonation Sound Like?" to hear the samples.)

Anyone had any experience with Just Intonation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home